Posted on August 3, 2017
Corns and Calluses forms when there is continuous pressure and friction on an area of skin. The pressure causes the layer of skin to die and a hard layer of skin is then formed to protect it. Corns are usually smaller than calluses and are formed on places like top, side and in between your toes. Calluses usually develop underneath your foot like on the heel and may differ in size and shape. Corns are more painful then calluses where as calluses can be uncomfortable.
Continuous pressure and friction can cause corns and calluses to form, these are some of the reasons:
- Wearing shoes either too loose or too tight can cause friction on certain places on your foot. If the shoe is too loose your foot will be sliding around causing friction to the side of the foot.
- High heels will compress the front of your toes and put pressure on the heel of your foot.
- Not wearing socks will create friction within the shoe between your foot and the shoe itself.
- Claw toes and bunions may contribute to the development of corns and calluses.
If the pain remains then you may come to Dr7 Podiatry in Yokine for a podiatrist to:
- remove or debride the corns or calluses , this should not be done by yourself because it may be easily infected if not done properly
- Over the counter medicine for corns and calluses such as patches and cream may be applied, usually things that include salicylic acid. But this is not recommended because it will cause more problems in the future.
- In rare cases surgery may be an option so that they may align your foot correctly.
You may apply these methods everyday to prevent corns or calluses from forming:
- Moisturise the foot to keep the skin soft.
- Wearing comfortable cushioned shoes and socks.
- Custom orthotics may also align your feet and prevent friction within the shoes. You may book an appointment with Dr7 Physio and Podiatry Yokine Perth for a casting and dispense of custom orthotics.
We are well located to provide physiotherapy, podiatry, hydrotherapy and massage to Yokine, Dianella, Joondana, Tuart Hill, Osborne Park, Coolbinia, Mount Lawley, Bedford, Inglewood, Balcatta, Stirling, Nollamara and surrounding Perth communities.
We have been providing friendly and professional physiotherapy, podiatry, hydrotherapy and massage treatment since 2001.