Posted on October 31, 2018
What is hydrotherapy?
Hydrotherapy refers to therapy within a body of water. Typically hydrotherapy pools are operated at 33-36° to facilitate with patient recovery and healing. It combines the effects of exercise and warm water to improve function, induce healing and reduce pain. Dr7 Physiotherapy & Podiatry provides a hydrotherapy pool onsite with trained Physiotherapists to assist you where necessary.
How does hydrotherapy work?
Hydrotherapy has proven properties which allow patients to rehabilitate safely at a faster rate:
- The buoyancy of water reduces the load distribution through joints and tissues, allowing patients to improve their strength and/or mobility in a more comfortable environment. This creates the feeling of weightlessness through your body, almost as if you are taking a break from gravity.
- The warmth of the water encourages your blood vessels to improve circulation throughout your body. This stimulates oxygen to flow into to your joints and tissues which improves healing and helps to dispose of toxins faster.
Uses of hydrotherapy
The Physiotherapists at Dr7 Physiotherapy and Podiatry are trained to deliver hydrotherapy for the following uses:
- Rehabilitation post surgical operations
- Low back pain
- Knee pain
- Weight loss management
- Improve muscular strength
- Maintenance of arthritis pain
- Maintenance of fibromyalgia pain
- Rehabilitation of athletic injuries
- Improve cardio-vascular fitness
Benefits of Hydrotherapy
There are many benefits of hydrotherapy which has been proven through research. Some of the major benefits are:
- Provides a comfortable environment for exercise
- Allows increase mobility of stiff and/or painful joints
- Reduces muscles tension
- Relieve pains throughout the body
- Speeds rehabilitation of injured muscles
- Boosts the immune system through increased circulation
- Encourages the detoxification process
- Relieves stress
- Effective in the maintenance of chronic pain
- Stimulates blood flow throughout the body
Hydrotherapy at Dr7 Physiotherapy & Podiatry
Hydrotherapy is a facility offered here at Dr7 Physiotherapy and Podiatry in Yokine. Our pool runs at 34° and we provide a variety of equipment utensils that you can use to facilitate your rehabilitation. We run different types of hydrotherapy sessions which you can read about below:
- Arthritis class: a full-body workout delivered by a Physiotherapist which aims to improve mobility, strength and cardiovascular fitness
- 1-1 hydrotherapy: this includes a 1-1 session with a Physiotherapist who guides you through your very own hydrotherapy program
- Group rehabilitation: a group setting of up to 4-6 patients undertaking rehabilitation under the supervision of a Physiotherapist
- Independent rehab: use of the pool independently, great for water walking or doing your own exercises